There is one fact that people are not really aware of — you are never too old to get your teeth straightened. If you have crooked teeth and are above 18 years of age, you can still get orthodontic treatment to straighten them. Apart from teeth straightening, adult orthodontics also improve your bite, spaced out or crowded teeth, and close gaps that appear in your smile.
Options to Consider
Metal and traditional braces are not the only options you have as an adult. There are other options that give you quicker results while being less noticeable. For example, clear braces do the needful while being discreet. Ceramic braces match the color of your teeth which makes them harder to see.
Invisalign are clear aligners that fit directly over your teeth and can be removed while eating, brushing and flossing.
Choose the right orthodontist and get the right braces based on your budget, and severity and condition of your dental issues.
3 Reasons to Get Adult Braces
- Keeps Teeth Healthy
When the teeth overlap or are pushed together, they form a perfect spot for the bacteria to hide and grow. Bacteria can also cause plaque on the teeth, which can be linked to plaque in the arteries as well. Moreover, the buildup of food between the ill-spaced teeth may lead to gum and periodontal disease in the future. Adult braces help straighten the teeth and prevent bacteria from causing dental problems, thus helping you maintain good oral health and oral hygiene.
- Boosts Self-Esteem and Confidence
Misaligned and crooked teeth may affect your appearance, thus impacting your self-esteem too. You might feel embarrassed to smile or even talk. Once the teeth get into their proper shape with the help of braces, you will look and feel better about yourself. This will automatically boost your self-esteem and confidence.
- Avoid Future Orthodontic Issues
Braces keep the teeth healthy and bring down the risks of future orthodontic problems. For example, crooked teeth can cause gum and periodontal diseases that may lead to bone loss in the future. By using braces, you can correct crooked teeth, thus minimizing the risk of bone loss in the jaw.
Care Instructions While Undergoing Adult Orthodontic Treatment:
- Regardless of what braces you choose to have, schedule regular checkups with your orthodontist in Carmel. Determine how often you need the checkups and don’t skip the appointments.
- Avoid certain types of food until the braces treatment is complete. Sticky, crunchy, hard or starchy food must be off the table — However, if you choose to have Invisalign, you can eat whatever you want as you simply have to remove the Invisalign aligner during meals.
- Brushing and flossing more regularly will ensure that food getting stuck and trapped under the brackets and wires of braces are removed quickly. If the food gets trapped under the orthodontic appliance, it can cause permanent damage to the health of your teeth while increasing your treatment time.
Don’t delay your dream of having a perfect and healthy smile any further. If you are looking for an orthodontist in Briarcliff or an orthodontics in Carmel to get adult braces, give us a call at Putnam Orthodontics or book an appointment online.