Phase one treatment, also known as interceptive treatment is the first stage of the two-phase pediatric orthodontic treatment. The two-phase pediatric orthodontic treatment offered at our clinics in Carmel and Briarcliff involves teeth straightening and creating a functional bite for children. A proper foundation is created during phase one which promotes normal jaw and dental development. Dental problems such as early or late loss of baby teeth, misplaced or crowded teeth, underbites, overbites, anterior cross bites, posterior crossbites etc. are best treated at an early age with this orthodontic treatment. Early treatment is essential to prevent serious oral health issues in the future.
At Putnam Orthodontics, we ensure that your kids have a friendly atmosphere throughout their two-phase orthodontic treatment. Their comfort is our top priority and so we make them feel at home and treat them with special care when they start their phase one treatment and their care continues through phase two as well.
What is Phase One or Interceptive Treatment?
Your child must get his or her first orthodontic evaluation done by the age of 6 or 7. The interceptive treatment or phase one orthodontic treatment is prescribed for the most common oral problems such as:
- Protruding front teeth which are usually caused by habits like thumb sucking. If left untreated there is a risk of injury or tooth loss.
- Underbites and overbites.
- Anterior crossbites or posterior crossbites, as they can cause asymmetric jaw growth, gum recession or excessive tooth wear if left untreated.
- Early or late loss of baby teeth which causes a loss of or extra space. This oral problem becomes more difficult to correct at a later stage.
We use different types of appliances such as palatal expander and/or a partial set of braces depending on the treatment plan of your child during the interceptive treatment. This orthodontic treatment spans over a period of 6-12 months. Our dental team helps you and your child understand the oral hygiene routine so that life with braces does not become a challenge.
The phase one or interceptive treatment is followed by a resting period where the teeth are left alone to erupt naturally. A successful phase one treatment will have created proper room for permanent teeth to find their eruption path. This resting period is then followed by the second stage of treatment or phase two.
Why Does Your Child Need Phase One Treatment or Interceptive Treatment?
Your child will benefit in the following ways from the interceptive treatment:
- Proper growth of teeth and jaws.
- Strong foundation for correct eruption and growth of permanent teeth.
- Lesser risk of gum, tooth and jawbone injury.
- Lower risk of developing speech problems.
- Reduced chances of extensive and expensive orthodontic treatments such as jaw surgery in later years.
- Decreased chances of bruxing or grinding of teeth and other oral health issues such as cavities, tooth decay and periodontal diseases.
Whether it’s your child’s first orthodontic evaluation or a follow up visit, we at Putnam Orthodontics ensure that your child gets the best possible orthodontic care and treatment which is affordable for you as well. We have dental clinics in Carmel and Briarcliff Manor, NY.