Today it’s possible to learn almost anything with the help of tutorials and how-to videos on YouTube. But this trend has gone too far and is causing concerns. These DIY videos suggest using random objects at home, including paper clips, earring backs, rubber bands, fishing line, etc. to fix crooked teeth. And that’s not it; patients are being manipulated through marketing campaigns promoting DIY teeth straightening kits. Some at-home teeth straightening companies are providing dental braces just based on online consultation, and even worse, self-made dental impressions.
But when something as complex as orthodontic treatment is done in a bathroom without any equipment, knowledge, and expertise, the results are bound to be detrimental.
Problems with DIY Teeth Straightening
Teeth straightening is intended to align the jaws, lower pressure on them, and reduce wear. It involves taking the overall health and structure of the mouth into consideration, which is impossible with DIY teeth alignment. Moreover, at-home braces kits are usually distributed by unaccredited sources. And as a result, you can suffer from infections and other serious concerns.
Here are some risks of DIY teeth straightening that have been identified:
- Tooth loss or bone damage because DIY teeth aligners are created based on a single initial impression without any ongoing adjustment
- Infections because of the inability to address and monitor gum disease and current jaw health
- Teeth bent out of shape due to faulty manufacturing of kits and household objects inaccurate for alignment
- An extremely low standard of oral care and a complete lack of accountability
- Gum damage, root damage, and other dental problems that may be irreparable
Benefits of Professional Teeth Straightening
- Digital Dental Impressions – An orthodontist will take digital impressions of your teeth with a 3D scan of your entire mouth. It will allow them to have a comprehensive look at your mouth.
- Monitoring of Oral Health –A professional will suggest which orthodontic treatment you should go for based on your existing oral health and gum condition. Further, with a dental cleaning and professional oral care, any risks of developing oral health problems will be eliminated.
- Customized Treatment – Every bite is different. And a professional orthodontic treatment will include adjustments based on the improvements in bite, which is impossible with DIY teeth straightening.
- Complete Jaw Alignment – Professional orthodontic treatment will ensure jaw alignment, which tends to improve facial appearance since the mouth is lifted upwards. It will also make the skin look younger and firmer.
People often try at-home teeth alignment because of the fear of wearing braces. But with the advancements in technology, you shouldn’t have to worry about that. There are professional teeth straightening options that you can choose from and align your jaw without braces.
DIY teeth straightening can be painful, poor, and can even result in permanent damage to your bite or lead to tooth loss. Don’t take this risk. Let a professional take care of your oral health as well as your beautiful smile.
Visit Putnam Orthodontics at Carmel and Briarcliff, NY, and let the experts help you with orthodontic treatment best-suited for your teeth and jaw.