Finally, it’s the green signal for braces removal from your orthodontist? This weight is soon going off your teeth! A perfect smile or a better bite, whatever your dream was, it’s finally going to come true!
You may be curious about the braces removal process. Even if you are not, it’s always better to be prepared and aware for the sake of your oral health.
Read this post to find answers to the following FAQs:-
- How to Prepare for Braces Removal?
- Does it Hurt While Getting Braces Off?
- How Long Does it Take to Remove Braces?
- What is the Process of Getting Braces Removed?
- How to Take Care of Teeth After Braces?
So let’s get started!
How to Prepare for Braces Removal?
There’s no special preparation! Clean your teeth and braces before the appointment. And if your sensitivity towards pain is high, you can take a pain reliever medicine. However, not everyone needs pain medication while getting braces removed. This brings us to our following FAQ.
Does it Hurt While Getting Braces Off?
Let’s say it’s more of discomfort and sensitivity rather than pain. Discomfort is common for every dental process. And you wear braces for a long time, so some soreness and sensitivity in teeth is normal. As mentioned earlier, you can take an over-the-counter pain reliever if you think it will help you.
How Long Does it Take to Remove Braces?
The process of getting braces off usually takes an hour. But it might differ for some people. The orthodontist removes your braces, cleans your teeth, and fits a retainer on your teeth within that time. More details are in the upcoming section.
What is the Process of Getting Braces Removed?
You can understand the braces removal process through the following steps:-
- First of all, your orthodontist will lose your brackets or any molar band attached to your braces with a metal device. By doing this, your braces and wires will pop out.
- Now is the time to thoroughly clean your teeth. This step is crucial because often, food and plaque get trapped in your teeth due to braces. Any residue of the adhesive used in braces will also be rinsed off. Afterward, your teeth will be polished with a grinder.
- You don’t immediately get complete freedom after getting braces removed. The orthodontist fits the retainer on your teeth. You need to wear it for some time after braces removal. It’s an orthodontic device to hold your teeth in their new position.
- A set of X-ray and bite impressions might be taken before fixing retainers. This is to check the result of braces treatment and can also be used to make personalized retainers.
- Before letting you go with your newfound smile, the orthodontist will run a check for wisdom teeth. If any wisdom tooth is trying to erupt after braces removal, it needs to be extracted to prevent the disturbance in the new teeth alignment.
How to Take Care of Teeth After Braces?
- Remember the following oral care tips to maintain healthy and shiny teeth after braces.
- Be hydrated, drink lots of water and other healthy fluids.
- Never miss follow-up appointments with your orthodontist.
- Brush twice and floss once a day, every day without fail.
- Your gums are sensitive after braces removal so use a soft nylon toothbrush.
- Use mouthwash to kill germs and reduce discoloration.
- Wear a clean retainer regularly as recommended by your orthodontist.
- After getting your braces removed, wait for some days to eat sticky and hard food.
You can talk to your orthodontist to be further prepared. OTC pain relievers are always available if you are nervous about the pain. There is no reason to worry. Getting braces removed is a cakewalk compared to the extensive orthodontic treatment you took. So you should direct your attention towards maintaining healthy and strong teeth after braces.
Dr.Pai and his team of expert orthodontists at Putnam Orthodontics specialize in metal braces, Invisalign, Damon braces, and various other kinds of braces.
Book an appointment today!